Saturday, June 18, 2011

Last night in the hostel

 25-05-'07

I was all by myself. Roomie had already packed and left a month earlier. Wasn’t so sure how to ‘celebrate’ the end of 5 years living here. 

I thought I’d just click a photo or 2 of where I’d stayed to keep as memory...

Looking at this photo today, I'm looking at all the minutest details.


Bed with blue striped sheet – I loved having a bed by the window.

The cupboard on the left – was mostly used to keep body sprays, perfume, accessories etc. (heavily decorated with colored paper, coz I thought the cream and brown was too dull )

Plug point above the cupboard – the reason for many short-circuits across the corridor. Plugging in an iron would trip the circuit. After a few warnings, was mostly used for cell phone charging

Knotted curtains on the windows – Fancy curtains from Fab India (once upon a time deep red in color). I liked the rain coming through the window like a slight spray with the breeze, hence the tied up curtains

Blue stool – an important member of all my rooms through all years...famous for its multi-purpose use. Was quite famous, and I'm pretty sure a few of my friends had been thinking of kidnapping it.

The red big bag on the bottom left – too fancy to be carried out in Mumbai, especially useless because it had no zipper. I used it mostly to keep my extra files in the room

White cover on the red bag – an envelope from the photo-printer. I clicked and printed a lot.

The cot on the right – looked really barren once my roomie packed and left, so I put one of my extra sheets on it.

Laptop on the cot – My very first one (Dell), used and abused but something I relied on for everything – College work, office work, keeping in touch, watching movies, playing music. I think there is a Yahoo Messenger window running while this photo is taken.

The grey wire that runs from the top left of the window to the laptop – the internet ‘provider’. At 450rs/month, I would say it was a pretty good deal for unlimited uploads and downloads.

Table on the right – I just realized, everything in my room in blue! This was again an important piece of furniture in the room. However, I wish it was slightly less bulky. Was too big for our tiny room. Held my table clock, lens/glasses, tiny mandir, mementos from home, pen holders, magazines etc

Threptin tin on cot – to munch when hunger hit in the middle of the night.

Other mess on the cot – I can hardly recognize any of the stuff and I assume that was the pile to throw away. I even see a floppy disk there!

Black blob on the bed – my Moshi.. I’m not sure whether it had a name. but it’s like a really soft pillow, with a filling of tiny thermocol balls. Again, a favorite amongst visitors...

Transparent plastic folder on the left – used it a lot during college. Paper files during monsoon were of little use.

Bright orange lights seen from the window – probably from the Charni road station. The only year I had a ‘back-side’ room. But there was an advantage to that too…loved the sound of trains zooming by at late night and early mornings. Also, the sun woke me up, in case I had missed the alarm.

...But this is only what is seen in this frame 

The mess is because I was packing :)


No comments: